The Legal Center has 10 years' experience defending and enforcing campaign finance, election and ethics laws. There’s a lot to explain and keep straight given recent developments with Super PACs, changing laws, Citizens United, etc. We think our reports, papers, and other documents will help you understand the different elements at play this cycle and how to make sense of it all.
Comedian Stephen Colbert Helps Dedicate the Ham Rove Memorial Conference Room at the Campaign Legal Center
To read the press release about the dedication, click here.
To watch Legal Center president Trevor Potter's numerous appearances on The Colbert Report, click here.
(AP Photo/Cliff Owen)
“Elections for Sale” - to watch Trevor Potter on Bill Moyers & Company, click here.
"Big Sky, Big Money" - to watch Trevor Potter in the PBS Frontline investigative report, click here.
The rush of litigation challenging campaign finance and disclosure laws continues unabated more than two years after the Supreme Court’s controversial Citizens United decision. In addition to these challenges, the upcoming election has spurred a new wave of litigation over state voter purges and controversial voter photo identification laws. For your reference, the Campaign Legal Center has updated a summary document of recent cases of interest at the federal, state and municipal level. The summary provides a brief description of pending and recently decided cases, and the Legal Center’s involvement in those cases.
In a letter sent today to the House Ways and Means Committee, the Campaign Legal Center joined Democracy 21 in urging the Committee to examine the failure of the IRS to properly enforce the tax laws against groups improperly claiming to be “social welfare” organizations under section 501(c)(4) of the tax code. The nonprofit tax status has been widely abused by groups that have spent hundreds of millions of dollars in the last two election cycles in an attempt to elect or defeat candidates for federal office.
LATEST CLC UPDATE
LATEST PRESS RELEASES
- Reform Groups Call on House Administration Committee to Reject Efforts to Repeal Presidential Public Financing, Election Assistance Commission
- Bailouts of Covered Jurisdictions Continue As Supreme Court Considers Voting Rights Act Challenge
- Watchdog Groups Warn House Committee Not to Prevent or Undermine Proper Enforcement of Tax Laws Against 501(c)(4) Abusers
LATEST NEWS CLIPS
- NPR: Liberal Groups Say They Received IRS Scrutiny Too
- KPBS, iNewSource: Carl DeMaio: ‘The Future Something’
- Huffington Post: Chris Van Hollen: IRS Rules To Be Challenged In Court
- Gannett: Pro-Kasich group was among those scrutinized
- Star Tribune: Wall Street-Washington links must be disclosed