Jobs & Internships
Interested in joining the Campaign Legal Center’s (CLC) staff as we protect the right to vote and defend our democracy from the corrupting influence of big money? CLC is an equal opportunity employer, which welcomes qualified applicants of all races, ethnicities, physical abilities, genders, and sexual orientations.
CLC offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Please review the current job openings. We encourage you to revisit this page regularly, as we post new positions here first.
Jump ahead to the job posting that interests you most:
- Analyze and monitor campaign finance filings, journalistic reports, and other material to identify and disclose potential violations of law
- Investigate potential violations of the law and interview participants in the campaign finance system
- Conduct factual research to build a record supporting legislative and judicial improvements to campaign finance law
- Provide direct support to the President of CLC by:
- Researching and compiling data and other factual material for the President’s speaking engagements
- Creating written and visual material for the President to use in outreach efforts
- Other duties as assigned, including duties in support of CLC’s voting rights and redistricting programs, as appropriate
- Research, journalism, or investigative experience
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly and organize and communicate ideas
- Demonstrated ability to work with large quantities of documents and data
- Familiarity with online research tools, such as news and government databases
- Familiarity with offline research resources, such as libraries and document repositories
- Willingness to travel and work as a flexible and collaborative member of a team
- Ability to meet filing deadlines and to work under the heightened pressure they can create
- Proficiency with advanced features of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Sense of humor
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC
CLC participates in a variety of trial and appellate court cases around the country involving campaign finance, voting rights, redistricting, and other aspects of election and ethics law, both to ensure the proper implementation of laws and to defend laws against legal challenges.
The Paralegal will be a key member of CLC’s litigation team, supporting all of CLC’s trial and appellate litigation. The Paralegal will work with CLC’s litigation attorneys to finalize and submit court filings, prepare documents for depositions and trials, and maintain CLC’s litigation case files.
- Prepare documents for court filing, including by:
- Formatting documents according to court-specific requirements.
- Creating tables of contents and tables of authorities.
- Attaching exhibits and appendices.
- Preparing final electronic and paper filings pursuant to applicable court rules.
- File court documents.
- Contact court clerks’ offices when necessary.
- Assist with deposition, pretrial, and trial preparation (e.g., preparing exhibits and attachments).
- Create and maintain electronic case files.
- Provide similar legal assistance to non-litigation attorneys as required, such as reviewing draft legislative language and citation-checking documents to be filed with government agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least one year of experience as a paralegal — or in a comparable litigation-support position — at a law firm, advocacy organization, government agency, or other entity engaged in federal litigation.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to organize, and assist others in maintaining, litigation case files.
- Knowledge of legal citation formats.
- Familiarity with federal court dockets (PACER) and filing systems (ECF).
- Experience preparing exhibits for depositions and/or trials.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, including applying Styles and other formatting features, and Adobe Acrobat (e.g., redacting documents, Bates-stamping, etc.)
- Demonstrated interest in public-interest legal work is desirable, but not required.
The Campaign Legal Center (CLC) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, height, weight, or marital status in employment or the provision of services and benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and résumé addressing your interest in and relevant experience for this role with "Paralegal Application" in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet our 2017 summer intern class!